Monday, October 6, 2008

Joe Festa


Joe Festa is the barber-philosopher of the State Street Barber Shop, Trenton NJ. You will find him in-residence Tuesday to Saturday 6AM-6PM. You may also see him out on Warren Street, wearing a red bowler hat or twirling a cane or bouncing a ball and greeting passersby. That’s what he does when he’s not cutting hair or working out in the back of the barbershop. This is a happy man, a septuagenarian who looks like the late George Carlin with muscles.


He loves his work. He loves his customers. He loves his non-customers. He loves his fellow merchants, Trenton, life, people and loving. It’s great to watch.


A hair cut from Joe is an experience. He sings (Everybody loves somebody… sometimes…,) tells (clean) jokes and spreads the good news of a positive attitude. He is an evangelist for Life, he enjoys his work and he is a great barber. Stop by, get a haircut or just stick your head in and say “hi.” It’s worth the trip.


“Joe” - isms:

· Soap and manners are cheap; no one should be dirty or impolite.

· If you expect to keep anything, you’ve got to give back more.

· The mind and body is like an ax. If it’s not sharp, you’ve got to work twice as hard.

· Don’t let kindness be mistaken for weakness.

· We all want to get to heaven, but we don’t want to die to get there.

· Everyone wants a wonderful life, but few of us take the steps, make the plans.

· What’s wrong with using the word “love?” In order to be loved, you’ve got to love others.

· There’s a lot of working people. God must love us, because he made a lot of us.

· Misery loves company and I will not be part of it.

· You know what I ask the Lord every day? Energy. Give me energy.

· There are no shortcuts. The right way is the straight and narrow.

· I was born to a family of 13. I was lucky I had a name. And you know what? I never said I was “poor.” Not ever. If God makes you healthy and gives you a life, don’t tell me you’re poor.

· It all comes from sharing a giving back. I start my day, my giving back, just by saying “Good Morning” to people I meet on the street, opening a door for someone. I like giving back. I like sharing. When you touch other people’s lives, guess what brother? You’re touching your own.

State Barber Shop, 116 S. Warren Street, (609) 392-2211 (Directions)

also on hiddentrenton.com


No comments: